The Preventive Services Program (PSP) is dedicated to promoting healthy smiles for all of Missouri’s children through education and preventive treatment. The Preventive Services Program Brochure and the PSP Informational Presentation below provide information on how you can bring PSP to your community.
For more information Email us or call us at 573-751-5874 to learn more about having an oral health event in your community!
- Please view the video Volunteer today for the Preventive Services Program (PSP) to learn more about how you, as a dentist or dental hygienist, can volunteer to conduct oral screening at a school in your community.
- Fluoride Varnish – A Cavity Fighting Tool!
- What is the Difference between Dental Sealant and Fluoride Varnish
- Missouri Oral Health PSP Participants Dashboard 2021-2022
As a PSP volunteer, you will be one of many involved in a PSP Event. This is the purpose of PSP, “Many hands working together for the oral health of the community.”
Below is a list of the various roles where your help is needed. Read through the areas to find where you can help, then click on the link at the bottom of the page and find an Oral Health Consultant who can get you started.
Thank you for volunteering to help improve the oral health of Missouri’s children!
Missouri Licensed Dentists & Dental Hygienists (or supervised students of these professional pro- grams):
Conduct oral screenings for children
- Apply fluoride varnish to children’s teeth: Must be at least 18 years of age to apply fluoride varnish
- Record information for the dental screeners
- Assist with the oral health education component of PSP (curriculum & material provided)
- Escort children to the event and back to their classrooms
- Assist with the distribution of materials (toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.)
- Assist with directing and monitoring children while at the event
- Assist with paperwork
No two PSP events are the same. Your time commitment may be a few hours or it may be most of a school day. We appreciate any time you can offer!
To become a PSP Volunteer, please contact the DHSS Office of Dental Health, Oral Health Consultant who services your county. Email your consultant for your county or call 573-751-5874.
PSP is dedicated to improving healthy mouths for all Missouri Children through education and preventive services. The goal of PSP is to screen Missouri Children’s oral health and provide a public health intervention called fluoride varnish.
Tooth decay is one of the most common chronic disease of childhood. Untreated tooth decay can cause pain and infections that may lead to problems with eating, speaking, playing and learning. Children who have poor oral health often miss more school and receive lower grades than children who have good oral health. Oral Health is an important part of general health.
The good news is that tooth decay is preventable. Fluoride varnish can prevent about one-third (33%) of cavities in the primary (baby) teeth.
To learn more about PSP or to volunteer at an oral health events go to Preventive Services Program (PSP) page.
- A Simulation Model for Designing Effective Interventions in Early Childhood Caries
- ADA Report-Topical Fluoride for Caries Prevention
- American Academy Pediatric Dentistry – Policy on Use of Fluoride
- Clinical Considerations for an Infant Oral Health Care Program
- Evidence-based Use of Fluoride in A Pediatric Dental Practice
- Fluoride Varnish Efficacy in Preventing Early Childhood Caries
- Fluoride Varnish Research Brief from the Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors
- Recommendations for Using Fluoride to Prevent and Control Dental Caries in the United States
- Topical Fluoride Recommendations for High-risk Children